Do Magazines Have A Future?

It really surprised me last week to find out Look Magazine had closed after 11 years of publication. It was a magazine that my mum and I religiously brought when I was growing up, I loved it! According to this article Look sold well over 300,000 copies each week at its peak which dropped to 57,110, that’s about 80% lower! This had me thinking… even though I always loved to buy it when was the last time I picked up a copy of Look? (The only magazines I have brought so far this year have been Bridal ones because every new bride to be does this right?!) Being brutally honest it’s been a few years, but why? I suppose with the way online media is now we don’t need to spend £5 on a monthly magazine to find out the latest trends or the must have new beauty products. I follow hundreds of girls across all my social media accounts that give me daily inspiration for free, all contained in my phone. Blogs and YouTube are now my source for all things new and trendy, because if there are any must have products, then the bloggers will know about it!

I actually felt guilty after thinking about all this as I’m a part of the reason magazines like Look are closing down and all those people who dedicated their lives to it are loosing their jobs. So what did I do? I went out and brought a handful of magazines! After looking through a couple I remembered how nice it is to actually hold a fresh magazine with crisp pages and that new smell that as you flick through. In the last ever copy of Look they included a #savemagazines page urging us to keep buying our favorite magazines in order to keep them running. So from this day onwards I am going to make a conscious effort to but my favorite magazines because how tragic would it be if one day in the soon future there was no such thing as fashion/beauty/women magazines?!

Do you still buy magazines? If so what ones?

Thanks for reading,

Love From,

Chloe x

12 Comments

1. June 24, 2018 / 10:16 am

I actually still buy magazines – two to be exact, but these are not so much about fashion as they are about interviews with professors, celebrities, people that succeeded in life and so on. I find those articles really interesting. You’re right though, magazines are killed by the Internet nowadays, but I guess that’s life and they have to… I don’t know, change and transform to fit modern times.
    Dorota

• Chloe Louise
      Author
      July 1, 2018 / 9:35 pm

Thank you for reading! Oh that sounds interesting! What are the magazines called I’d love to check them out 🙂 ? Chloé x

2. June 18, 2018 / 11:16 pm

I also don’t remember the last time I bought a magazine! I used to buy them mainly when I was travelling but now I just listen to books on Audible instead. The way media works has most definitely changed – on the flip side I’m sure their online website is still doing pretty well! http://skylish.co.uk

• Chloe Louise
      Author
      July 1, 2018 / 9:37 pm

I can’t go to an airport and not but a magazine! I’ve just started to get into podcasts/audible I’m loving it 🙂 thank you for reading! Chloé x

3. June 18, 2018 / 12:55 pm

there was a time when people read it and bought a lot, but nowadays with the technologies developments and more web magazines out there, it might come a time when they won’t be needed anymore!
    Great article 🙂
    xx

Patricia & Miguel

• Chloe Louise
      Author
      June 23, 2018 / 10:44 am

I completely agree, however I do think it will be sad if one day there were no magazines at all!

4. June 12, 2018 / 7:26 am

I think magazines still has its own future. However, it will not be as bright as it was before. These days, people more often use mobile phones than get magazines.

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

• Chloe Louise
      Author
      June 14, 2018 / 4:30 pm

I guess like most things, it’s all going digital! I wonder what it will be like in another 5 Year’s…

Thanks for reading 🙂 x

5. Kate
    June 7, 2018 / 3:17 pm

I definitely don’t buy magazines as often as I used to, because I tend to look to blogs, YouTube and Instagram for my inspo these days. I do still like to get them occasionally because I see them as a treat to wind down with, but I guess if we all do that, it’s not enough to sustain them. Funnily enough, Look was the one magazine I still bought every week, because I loved all the high street fashion in it, so I really will miss it. x

Kate Louise Blogs

• Chloe Louise
      Author
      June 14, 2018 / 4:29 pm

Yes I totally agree, I defo watch YouTube and read blogs more than reaching for a magazine! I still think magazines are great for inspiration, I can’t imagine going on holiday and not picking up a few at the airport…

Thanks for reading 🙂 x

6. JKC
    June 6, 2018 / 8:56 pm

Loved this post & yes I am also guilty of not buying magazines anymore, perhaps I will go back to my old way & buy again my favourite also was Look. Thanks Chloe x

• Chloe Louise
      Author
      June 14, 2018 / 4:27 pm

There are some great magazine out there still! I’ve just renewed some old subscriptions ! Thanks for reading 🙂 x